Select Page

Student Grievances

Students who feel that they have been disciplined unfairly or wish to appeal some other decision which they consider to be unjustified or unfair have a right to appeal that decision. Normally, grievance appeals should be resolved informally between the faculty member or other employee who has been responsible for the act in question and he/she, along with the student, attempt, in good faith, to resolve the dispute. If it is not possible to resolve the matter at this level, then the student should bring the matter to the attention of the Dean of Students.

The Dean of Students holds an informal session to which the student and the faculty/employee concerned are invited. Every attempt is made to resolve the matter at that level, even if multiple sessions are required. If the problem is not resolved, then a formal appeal may be filed. A formal appeal goes to an Appeals Committee who, after investigation, makes a final decision.

A student who believes that he or she has been aggrieved and has followed normal channels of appeal, but without resolution, may appeal to the HCC board who acts as a Board of Appeal. Further details of the actual appeals process are available from the Dean of Students.

For more information contact Dean of students at

Start building your future